When I woke up this morning, I decided that I’d use the remote features of my Nest
Thermostat to increase the temperature of the first floor as the normal schedule
hadn’t started yet.
Here’s what I saw on my iPad:
First Floor: ?
When I tapped the Basement image, this alert was displayed:
“Thermostat Disconnected: The thermostat Basement last connected to nest.com more
than 7 hours ago.”
I next checked the First Floor. Thankfully, it said that it had only been 17 minutes
since it last connected. I’ve seen that issue before and it usually resolves. But,
I’ve never seen one go more than about
50 53 minutes without
The fact that I was using the iPad and the Nest application meant that WiFi Internet
was available in our house.
I went to the Basement thermostat and noticed this glaring issue after clicking
through to settings:
As I wasn’t sure what the best option was at 6:45AM for support, I decided to re-add
the thermostat to our account. The thermostat had no trouble accessing the Nest
cloud and obtaining one of the one time connection keys. (So, I maintain, it’s not
general Internet connectivity issues).
After deleting and adding it back, the web site still reported it as MIA. So, I
tried a reset:
After resetting, and waiting several minutes after it had completely restarted, it
appeared again on the Nest web site.
However, 3 hours later:
It’s again, gone missing.
So, I called support this fine Sunday morning and talked to one of the same support
engineers I’ve spoken with in the past (“DK”). I explained the general problem (and
emphasized that my biggest concern was that it had lost my account information), my
“solution”, and said that it was again not reporting in. In a typical (somewhat
ironic) support fashion, as I was explaining the issue and walking to the basement,
the thermostat reported in successfully to the Nest cloud.
He had me drop the account, add it to my account, and restart it again. He said that
resolves the problem in about 70% of the cases. In the other 30%, he mentioned that
they often manually update the firmware and that will help. [ugh]
I’m going to keep an eye on it and will add more details as needed/available.
If you want to talk and discuss more about digital thermostats with others, I’d
suggest here: digtstat.com (it’s a web site I
created to help provide a better place to have discussions about the Nest